This is an in-depth review of the tracker 800 SX side-by-side. I’m going to talk through the specifications, the features, and the performance of this vehicle.
By the end, I hope you have an idea whether or not this vehicle is right for you and your needs.
How easy it is to buy a tracker off-road vehicle
When you decide to buy you’ll be introduced to what’s called no-haggle, no-hassle pricing. This means the prices are consistent across the nation. You won’t have to haggle back and forth about a price.
Tracker 800 SX side-by-side in under a minute
Tracker 800 SX side-by-side
Price: $12,598 USD
- Length – 126 in.
- Width – 63 in.
- Height – 74 in.
- Weight – 1,585 lb.
- Wheelbase – 85 in.
- Ground Clearance – 10.75 in.
- Towing Capacity – 2,000 lb.
tracker 800 SX side-by-side Review
Let’s take a look at the specifications of the 800SX.
- It’s 126 inches long.
- 63 inches at its widest.
- 74 inches tall at its highest point.
- The 800 SX has a 10-gallon fuel tank.
- The dimensions of the cargo bed are 40 and a half by 54 by 11.5 inches.
- The wheelbase is a measurement of the distance from the front axle to the rear axle and that’s 85 inches.
- The empty weight of this unit comes in at 1,585 pounds (718.9 kilograms).
How the 800sx Is Built
When it comes to how the 800SX is built, I learned that the frame that holds it all together is built from what’s called HSLA steel. This means high strength and low alloy steel.
- It’s very lightweight and yet it maximizes strength.
Rollover Protection System
The 800sx also features what’s called ROPS which means rollover protection system or structure.
- ROPS helps protect you in the event of a rollover but always wear your safety belt and helmets anytime you’re operating a cyber site.
High Impact and UV Resistant Body Panel
The body of the 800sx is made from high-impact resistant body panels that are formulated to take punishing UV rays for long life and a great look.
And the interior is designed to be easy to get in and out of with a door as opposed to nets like you’ll find on some other brands.
Front and Rear Double A-Arm Suspension
One thing’s for sure no side by side would be worth much if it couldn’t take the tough off-road conditions, you’re probably going to use it in.
But what makes a unit good in those conditions in a word suspension.
The 800sx features front and rear double A-arm suspension.
|Front Suspension||Double A-Arm with 10 in (25.4 cm) of Travel|
|Rear Suspension||Double A-Arm with 9.5 in (24.1 cm) of Travel|
Suspension travel is where the shock and spring move to absorb the jolts from hitting holes and bumps.
It’s what gives you a smooth ride but why should this matter to you. Because quality suspension allows the vehicle to be more stable and easier to control. It literally keeps the tires in contact with the ground for better traction and response.
Now here’s something the tracker 800 SX side-by-side has that many brands don’t, it’s called transverse suspension.
The advantage of transverse suspension is that it minimizes scrub.
This means it keeps the tires even with the surface they’re traveling on even with a heavy load. And that ultimately means better traction when you need it most.
5-way Adjustable Shocks
There are five-way adjustable shocks and they’re located in the back and, the front, and tracker. Also, gives you a tool where you can adjust it.
Let’s say you want to haul a heavier load just dial up the stiffness.
- A higher setting increases preload and ride height to maintain ride quality when hauling more weight.
- In the lower setting, decreases preload ensuring a smooth ride for normal operating conditions.
High Ground Clearance
When you compare the 800 SX to the competition as I did, you’ll find out that it’s the high end of competitive ground clearance.
Now the 800 SX has nearly 11 inches of ground clearance which is very important when you want to clear obstacles like logs and rocks or even go over ruts and ditches.
- The higher the ground clearance the more easily you can go nearly anywhere without getting high centered.
Underside Full-Length Polymer Skid Plate
Tracker sider by side has a high-strength polymer skid plate. Now what that does is protect almost everything under the vehicle from debris that can be kicked up from the tires while you’re off-road.
- When you start to get high centered, it’ll help you slide off because it’s slick.
This is really a cool feature.
General-purpose Off-road Tires
Let’s take a look at the tires on this vehicle.
Now these are a good balance for general off-road use but they’ll also give you a smooth ride and stability but they’re also aggressive enough to get you off-road and back again.
The tread pattern also helps to quickly shed excess mud or snow which helps the traction in slippery conditions.
The tires in the front are 26 inches tall by nine inches wide and they are mounted on a 14-inch aluminum wheel. The back tires are 26 inches tall and 11 inches wide.
- They are wider in the back because it adds traction and balances the vehicle’s weight better.
Electronically Switchable 2WD/4WD
Now here’s a great feature the 800 SX can be switched back and forth from two-wheel drive to four-wheel drive with this electronically switchable system.
- The cool part about it is, you don’t have to stop, just let off the gas, flick the switch, back on the gas, and go.
This is so important because when you don’t have to stop first, you don’t lose your forward speed and that keeps you from getting stuck.
Selectable Locking Rear Differential
There is also a rear-wheel lock switch and it’s called a selectable locking rear differential. This ensures that both rear wheels turn together so you won’t spin out as easily in slippery conditions.
By the way driving across a nice yard then be sure to turn the locking differential switch off and you won’t tear the turf in tight turns
You may not think much about brakes on Tracker side by side but brakes have to function great in a variety of conditions like mud, snow, water, and other crazy elements.
The tracker 800 SX side-by-side has dual-piston front calipers and single-piston rear calipers.
|Brake System||Dual-Piston Front Calipers and Single-Piston Rear Calipers|
What does that mean for stopping power?
Well, I learned that the front dual-piston caliper brake pads are larger and that’s good because a larger pad will absorb more heat and have better wear characteristics.
- Absorbs more heat
- Better wear
- Longer life
The dual-piston front brakes mean more force but also more even pressure on the brake pad to the rotor. This means greater stopping power. And that also means a longer life for your brakes.
- Higher braking force
- Even pressure from pad to rotator
- Greater stopping power
Having brakes on all four wheels means balance braking so you’ll stop quickly and efficiently when needed.
The 800 SX is powered by a four-stroke, three-cylinder, dual overhead cam, gasoline engine with EFI, 812 cc displacement.
- This 50 horsepower engine can generate 48 foot-pounds of torque for a wide variety of loads.
The tracker side by side has a liquid-cooled engine. That means it’s got a radiator that’s filled with fluid to keep the engine running safely in extreme temperatures and heavy working conditions.
The fuel system for this engine is EFI and that stands for electronic fuel injection. The tracker side by side has what’s called a closed-loop EFI meaning it has an exhaust sensor that constantly regulates temperature and fuel mixture.
- consistent throttle response in all operating conditions
- improves fuel economy
- improves cold-weather starting
- regulates fuel flow better at higher elevations
Electronic Throttle Control
I also found out that the 800 SX has something called ETC or Electronic Throttle Control. This is a drive-by-wire ETC. This means there is no drive cable from the foot pedal to the engine.
- It’s electronic so it provides smooth operation with no jerking and allows you to limit the speed.
This can be adjusted in one mile per hour increments from 25 to 50 miles per hour.
This is a great feature for a range of folks from commercial users, hunting camps, or large farms that can use it to control the maximum speed of the unit like most cars and trucks these days.
I found out that the 800SX is best in class at noise levels measuring just 58 decibels. Now to give you a reference a normal conversation between you and a friend comes in at 60 decibels. It’s that quiet.
But that’s not all tracker has done.
I found out that the overall design of the 800 SX is to reduce noise.
- Tracker has built every inch of this vehicle to not only start quietly but stay that way.
It has a whisper-quiet, rear-mounted engine that reduces noise and vibration through its precision-tuned exhaust system.
It also has a sound dampening intake and even the frame has a vibration reduction design. The Tracker 800 SX side-by-side is nearly twice as quiet as the nearest another major brand by nearly 10 decibels.
How Much Can Tracker Side by Side Haul?
If you’re looking at a side-by-side, I bet you’re asking yourself this question too. How much can this thing haul?
- Well, the 800SX is a true workhorse inside, there are
- 17.9 cubic feet of storage and
- the overall payload capacity is an impressive 1500 pounds.
- You can load up the cargo box with a 1000 lb. of cargo.
On either side of the cargo box, you’ll find a lever that when lifted allows the bed to tilt upwards.
And if you got a heavy load, the gas assist actually helps the bed lift up and make that stuff easy to dump. Tracker calls it lift-assist.
Just imagine the work you can do with the 800SX from hauling feed for livestock, equipment for working on your property, or hauling parts to fix that fence you’ve been meaning to get to.
It can tow an impressive 2000 pounds. This means it’s going to handle a wide range of accessories like a plow or trailers or you can even pull my boat.
The bench seats of the tracker 800 SX side-by-side seat a driver and two passengers.
- All three seats have three-point harnesses otherwise known as seat belts.
- All these seats are removable.
It gives you all kinds of space for cargo, equipment, or even maybe a wet dog. And speaking of wet dogs, there are drain holes in the floor placed in just the right places that way when it comes time to clean up, you simply wash it out and you’re done.
- Multiple floor drains for easy clean up
Tracker 800 SX offers an impressive digital display that will keep you informed during your ride.
- There are three separate buttons that affect three different lines on the display.
- It features a speedometer, an odometer for total miles, and two resettable trip meters.
- The tachometer lets you keep an eye on the engine RPMs.
- The gear indicator shows if you’re in the park, neutral, reverse, or high or low range.
- The fuel gauge features a low fuel warning light when needed.
- And there’s an hour meter for overall engine run time. This is especially handy for checking maintenance intervals.
- Operating temperatures are monitored by an air coolant intake temperature and radiator coolant temperature.
- Also, there’s a warning light if things get too hot rounding out the digital gauge.
- You’ll find a clock, a high beam, a headlight indicator, and a battery voltage gauge.
The lighting system of the tracker 800 SX side by side includes dulled tail lights that are both running lights and brake lights upfront.
There are dual halogen headlamps that feature a high and low beam setting.
These are very bright which is especially helpful in really dark conditions you’ll likely encounter while off-road now.